Let’s Be Honest – Hibernation

It’s October 9, and I already want to hibernate under the covers all day long. Hence, I didn’t post yesterday. Hence, it’s after 5 p.m. and I still haven’t posted today. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not just being lazy around here. I ran five miles today, watched some kids, went to a bible study, did some laundry, but all I want to do, and mostly what my heart thinks about, is crawl under the covers with a good book. Our house is less than 65 degrees. I can’t see the point in turning on the heat in October, but
Continue reading...

Old Friends

It’s hard to imagine that E already has “old friends.” But he definitely has a few who have known him for ages or ages, or whatever you call most of your 8-year-old life. Wyatt has been E’s friend since 2008, when both families lived in Florence. We actually all moved away from Florence in the same month of 2009. Sept. 2012 (E – 8, Wyatt – 6) Oct. 2007 (E – 3, Wyatt – Almost 2) Wyatt came over this past Sunday for an afternoon play date. We haven’t let them do this for a while, what with our schedules
Continue reading...

Soil Milk

A Typical Conversation: Me: (In a constipated voice) Awwwwww….look at that baby. Sooo cute. Awwww. Tyler: Yeah. He really is cute. Me: I need a baby. Tyler: (silence) Me: Ok. I need a baby someday. Definitely after my half marathon. Only a month to wait. Tyler: (pause)…yeah. Some day. I’ve got the itch. Every baby I see is adorable, even if they were just born and look more alien than human. I mean, E is eight and there is barely any baby left in him. Only when he sleeps does he look reminiscent of his baby self. Generally, I show
Continue reading...

Let’s Be Honest – Students Forever!!

I’m finding more and more students start school because it’s “what you do” and the expected thing for success. They have no interest in what they’re learning and have no clue what the heck they want to do with their lives. This seems like a recipe for scholarship loss and drunken debauchery. Now some weird kids just like learning, I was one of these, and they can go to college all life long. Actually, they will do well in college but run the risk of never getting out, never being content with how much they know, never wanting to graduate
Continue reading...

What has Starbucks done to us?

Oh baby. The Pumpkin Spice Latte is back. And the Salted Caramel Mocha, and pretty soon I’m going to see Gingerbread, Peppermint, Egg Nog, etc.  ‘Tis the season…for Starbucks. Many of you have already had at least one fall drink (and I don’t mean Pumpkin Ale). I’ll admit it. I’ve had one Pumpkin Spice Latte. I wanted to get a Venti, but I resisted on account of no one needs that much milk in their stomach at once. If I didn’t feel like a sell-out, I would pin this Starbucks ad on my “Fall” board on my Pinterest. However, I’m much
Continue reading...

Halloween Costumes, Amelia, and the Secret Service

Thanks to my brother-in-law, Darren, I’m loving the sound of this girl here. I just love new music. Trying to plan for the hours I’ll have to spend sewing, or learning to sew, I went ahead and bought this lovely sewing pattern for children’s pajamas. E decided on a the Red Ninjago, Kai, for Halloween this year. …into this? Turning this… I’m hoping the pajamas (2nd to left) will make a successful ninja suit, if I use red fabric, and then E can use them the rest of the winter as pajamas. I’m hoping this plan will work so I
Continue reading...

A Game Night with Friends

Last Saturday we celebrated Clemson’s first game by hanging out with some of Tyler’s fellow Clemson Graphics Alumni. It was great fun all around. We had yum-o food: including these puff pie wonders (filled with avocado, cream cheese, and some spice) from the recipe here. I discovered Trader Joe’s White Bean and Basil hummus (amazing!). David and Kristin made quesadillas and the infamous Mexican Layer Dip. To top it all off we had Banana Pudding, which apparently rivaled one of David’s favorite Clemson restaurants.  Tyler and David each provided their beer of choice for the night. David is devoted to
Continue reading...

The Football Creed

Who doesn’t love mud, sweat, grunts, and grass? Ladies and gentlemen, it’s football season. However, I often question if we’re really “ladies” and “gentlemen” about the whole situation. If every football fan adopted these simple rules, August – January would be the most fun months of the year. Some may think I’m not a real football fan. I’m ok with that. Let’s just be real. Don’t hate. Follow these rules: 1. I will not call watching a football game on my couch “cardiovascular exercise.” I will not say wings, mexican dip, and celery doused in ranch dressing fit my diet.
Continue reading...

Let’s Be Honest

Dwelling Inside or Out? When you see me pondering and if you ask me what I’m thinking about, there is an 88% chance I’ll be thinking about the future, a 10% chance I’m thinking of the past, and a 2% chance I’m thinking of the current situation. It’s so much easier to think of what I’m going to do or what happened yesterday, things I can reflect on or try to control, instead of thinking about what is happening now. I’m not sure if it’s because I really like control, as I’ve said before, and can think of and write down
Continue reading...